Waste Transfer Stations – Autumn/Winter Operating Hours

Commencing Monday 2nd  May 2022 the following opening hours will apply to the Orford, Swansea, Coles Bay, and Bicheno Waste Transfer Stations between May and the end of October 2022:

Open:           Monday, Wednesday, and Friday  (2.30pm – 4.30pm)
Open:           Sunday  (10am – 2pm)

Closed:        Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

*Open all public holidays except Christmas Day & Good Friday –   Normal operating hours apply.

Bicheno Waste Transfer Station – New Road Access
From 29 June the existing entrance road to the Bicheno Waste Transfer Station off the Tasman Highway will be permanently closed, and the access going forward will be via Industrial Road, which is in the new industrial estate next to the Waste Transfer Station.

Current Council Works

Please see below a schedule of current and upcoming works.
Dates and times are supplied with the best of accuracy but may change without notice subject to conditions and other factors.

Please Note: 

Council’s unsealed road maintenance program across the municipality has experienced numerous schedule delays in recent times due to weather events. This impacts the unsealed road maintenance and grading schedule in the following ways:

  • rain during actual working hours,
  • time for roads to dry out after a rain event,
  • availability of suitable material from quarries after a rain event (material not too wet)
  • and resources having to be re-allocated to other tasks across the municipality that present an immediate safety risk to the public. This includes attendance to fallen trees, storm water issues and roads critically damaged and deemed un-passable by vehicles.

The GSBC works department continues to revise the schedule and provide a consistent level of service across the municipal area with the available resources.

Current and upcoming works:

Project Name Activity Status
Charles Street, Orford Stabilisation and reseal of failed area Underway
Wielangta Road Numerous Bridge repairs-maintenance Underway
Fieldwick Lane, Orford Drainage works May/June 2022
Holkham Court Culvert Upgrade Planned start on 13th June
Nugent Road Seal repairs Underway

Maintenance grades

May/June 2022
Harveys Farm Road, Bicheno Walking Track Upgrade/Re-alignment to Foreshore May/June 2022
Seaford Road


Maintenance grade and drainage works May/June 2022
Wielangta Road Seal Repairs Underway

Triabunna School Crossing  – Melbourne St – Commencing Tues 14th June – One Week (subject to weather)

Pedestrian Island Upgrade – IGA Triabunna Corner – Underway

Sand River Road and Buckland Road – Reach arm roadside slashing – Complete






Works Requests 

Please submit a Works Request Form below to notify Council.

Some examples include:

  • Footpath and walking track maintenance
  • Missed kerbside collection
  • Stormwater
  • Trees
  • Signage
  • Road maintenance (on council roads only)
  • Public amenities

PLEASE NOTE: Other authorities are responsible for many road, services and public places.  For example, highways are State Growth, beaches are the Parks and Wildlife Service, and water or sewerage are TasWater.


Click here to view form.

The area of Waste Management has evolved from being landfill sites to environmentally responsible waste management and recycling centres. Council continues to operate its kerbside collection and recycling service throughout the Municipal area.

Council will continue to promote and implement the Waste Management Strategy and its associated implications.

Green waste management costs are increasing to meet environmental standards. As a result council will charge minimal fees on the delivery of green waste to all transfer stations commencing 1st August 2021 to fund the required changes in practices.

Please refer to council fees and charges for the applicable rates.

Recycling Items accepted at all Waste Transfer Stations include: Tyres (clean), white goods, general metal products, glass and plastic bottles, cans, E-Waste (including Televisions/Electrical items) and we are currently talking with “Paint Black” to recycle paint. Car batteries can be left at all Waste Transfer Stations and are then recycled by “Recycal”.  Old Flares are accepted for MAST.  Council also support and recycle household goods through the Swansea Men’s Shed/Shop.

MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED  at our Waste Transfer Stations include Clean Fill and Soil and loads of Bricks, Tiles, Concrete and Cement that constitute land fill.


The following items should NEVER be placed in your kerbside recycling.

So what do you do with them?

The following items can be dropped off at the Council office in Triabunna so they can be sent away to specialised recyclers:

  • Used batteries : alkaline batteries such as AA, C & D + 6 and 9 volt, round button batteries, nickel cadmium, lithium ion and nickel-metal hydride which as used in electronics, photography and phones.  This also includes watch and hearing aid batteries.
  • Oral Care products such as tooth brushes, toothpaste tubes, dental floss containers and floss picks.
  • Used cosmetics including used lipstick, mascara, eye shadow, foundation etc

Collection Buckets are located at the Council Office – 9 Melbourne St, Triabunna.

Waste Transfer Stations – Autumn/Winter Operating Hours 

Commencing Monday 2nd  May 2022 the following opening hours will apply to the Orford, Swansea, Coles Bay, and Bicheno Waste Transfer Stations between May and the end of October 2022:

Open:           Monday, Wednesday, and Friday  (2.30pm – 4.30pm)
Open:           Sunday  (10am – 2pm)

Closed:        Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

*Open all public holidays except Christmas Day & Good Friday –   Normal operating hours apply.

Kerbside Collection

All kerbside collection days and times remain unchanged. Please refer to Garbage and Recycling Calendar below.

For property’s the collection truck goes directly past, Council’s kerbside collection includes a Driver Assist clause for persons meeting the definition of “Genuine Disability” under the Waste Management Policy, If you believe you meet this criteria, please contact council.

If you require a  new, re-sized or replacement wheelie bin, please fill out this form 

If you would like any further information regarding your kerbside collection, or any other enquiries regarding Waste Management, please call the Works Department on 03 6256 4777.

Garbage & Recycling Information 

2022 Garbage and Recycling Calendar

Application For Conversion COLLECTION WAIVER

Application For Conversion Bin to Voucher

The Department of State Growth – Road Works

State Growth are responsible for the Tasman Highway in our municipality, you can find a full list of State Growth works here. You can also see the latest updates on RoadsTas Facebook page. 

Midway Point Intersection

Upcoming night works on the Tasman Highway Click here if you would like to see updates on this project from the Department of State Growth.


The weed and vegetation control spraying program in both township and rural areas is ongoing, weather permitting. The program involves treatment in residential areas, rural roadsides and public reserves.

Council has a current list of ratepayers who have requested that areas adjacent to their properties not be sprayed. Should any property owner wish to maintain their own frontage and be included on the ‘no spray’ list please contact Council’s Works Department by telephoning 03 62564777, or emailing


A Council Road reserve is the land from outside of the property boundary and generally consists of a nature strip (or roadside), drainage networks including kerb and channel, verge, road shoulder and roadway or carriageway.

 Please note: This form is not permission to start work, you must await Council’s response.

Form: Work Within Road Reserve Permit



Don’t wait for a flash flooding event to learn what to do.

The Bureau of Meteorology issues advice regarding heavy and flash flooding rainfall due to happen in the near future.

To keep up to date with this advice listen to ABC Radio on the following frequencies:

Local ABC Radio

Bicheno 89.7FM – Radio National 91.3FM
Orford 90.5FM – Radio National 88.9FM or 585AM
Swansea 106.10FM – Radio National 107.7FM or 585AM
Triabunna 90.5FM – Radio National 88.9FM

    • Check your insurance cover.
    • Are you covered for flooding?
    • Does your policy replace new for old, does it have a limit on repairs?
    • Check both building and contents cover; don’t underestimate the value of contents


If people are asked how they would defend their property to prevent the inflow of water the initial response is sandbags. However, what is not generally understood is that sandbags are not waterproof.

Also, sandbags empty or full are not easily obtained. The State Emergency Service (SES) can supply sandbags to private properties however, Council has limited supplies and these are required to manage public infrastructure.

The main points of water inflow to properties during flooding events are:

    • Back flow through toilets and sink plug holes.
    • Through the gaps around windows and door frames.
    • Through air bricks

To aid in preventing water coming in these main entry points the following techniques can be used when sandbags are not available or in preference to sandbags as they can be more effective.

Put plugs in sinks and baths. Weigh them down with a strong plastic bag filled with sand or earth.

Place a strong plastic bag full of sand or earth in the toilet bowl to prevent sewage entering your property. Close the lid and weigh down. Manhole covers within your property boundary should be weighed down with earth or sand filled bags or heavy objects. The gaps around windows and door frames can be sealed with duct tape and plastic available from most hardware stores. Duct tape and plastic well applied on a dry surface is far more effective than sandbagging. Similarly air bricks can be sealed, duct tape placed over, or a sheet of plastic and duct taped. Do not permanently seal your air bricks.

In preparation for flash flooding, assess your property and its vulnerability. To increase the flood resilience of your home think about using the methods described above, and have on hand stocks of plastic, duct tape, bags filled with sand or dirt and silicone sealant. This will assist with protecting your home in the event of flooding taking place.

Know how to turn off your water, gas and electricity. Ask your supplier how to do this.

Mark taps or switches with stickers to help you remember. If safe to do so, turn off gas, electricity and water supplies when floodwater is about to enter your home. DO NOT touch sources of electricity when standing in floodwater.

If possible, move any outside belongings to higher locations including car oils, pesticides and chemicals which can be very hazardous to the environment when mixed with floodwaters. These should be stored in plastic, airtight containers in a secure place away from the floodwaters.


  • Call your building and contents insurance company as soon as possible.
  • The insurance company will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and covered by your policy.
  • Ask the insurance company how long it will be before the loss adjustor visits.
  • Ask the insurance company if you are to clean your property or if they will get a company to do it for you.
  • If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.
  • Photograph and video record your damaged property. List the damage to your property and belongings.
  • Use a permanent ink pen to mark on the wall the maximum height of the floodwater – do this in every room affected by flooding.
  • Make a note of all phone calls. Record the date, name and what was agreed.
  • Keep copies of all letters and emails you send and receive. Also keep all receipts.
  • Don’t throw anything away until told to (except ruined food).

Please click here for a printable PDF.